Srdjan Jankovic's Studying Abroad Experience

Srdjan Jankovic '20
Marketing Major

Srdjan Jankovic Study Abroad

Studying abroad has been such an amazing and life-changing experience! It has helped me broaden my views and become not only a more well-rounded student but also an even more well-rounded human. Someone once said, “Good things never come from comfort zones,” which is the perfect quote to define one’s experience as an exchange student. Every day we are faced with various challenges—which stem from language barriers, orientation, or just getting through the day, and we have to overcome them as the open-minded and confident students we were taught to be at Mount Mercy.

Srdjan Jankovic Study Abroad
School

Studying in Barcelona has definitely helped me experience another way of learning and attending an academic institution. At the Universitat Pompeu Fabra , the trimesters are shorter than what we see in the USA and are also divided into three periods, instead of two, which makes the class times longer, hence condensing the material and increasing the work load. Although this may sound overbearing and overwhelming, the work load is very relevant to the course and is interesting and motivating. I enjoyed learning more about my field of study and working hard to obtain good results and take the most out of all of my courses. In times of stress, I remind myself that my goal is to succeed academically and that I should use this experience to the maximum in order to gain as much knowledge as possible.  

Srdjan Jankovic Study Abroad
Living

Living abroad has not been as much of a challenge as I have been already living by myself at Mount Mercy for two years. However, it was definitely more dynamic as I have been living downtown in one of the most vibrant cities in the world. It was a phenomenal experience to be able to explore the city in my spare time and get to know the culture, art, and spirit of Barcelona. It gave me an insight of what life in Europe looks like and how I can use the artistic aspects of it to apply to my current and future work.

Srdjan Jankovic Study Abroad
Friends and Traveling

Being an exchange student has opened so many doors for me: academically, culturally, and socially. I have made so many friends while living in Barcelona because we were able to bond over this shared experience. Having a group of both international and local friends gives me the chance to explore not only the city of Barcelona but Spain and Europe in general. Travelling is made a lot easier thanks to the American Institute for Foreign Study (AIFS) and Mount Mercy because we are able to go on organized trips.

AIFS has made my experience enjoyable not only by providing me the amazing opportunity of studying abroad in this wonderful city, but by making the application process very easy and stress-free. AIFS is also known for giving scholarships and making the price of the exchange program similar, if not the same, to a semester in the US.

Tags:

Share on...

Mount Mercy on...